Saturday, July 9, 2011

Polaroid Camera Found!

One day late last summer while rummaging around in a closet, I came across an old forgotten Polaroid Spectra camera from the 1980s.  Hmmm, wonder if it still works?  Sure enough, the battery, which is part of the film pack in this model, still had enough energy to power the camera, but the film was stuck together so no picture emerged.  

I found a supplier on the Internet who still had original ten-shot film packs for about $25.  I bought four packs and then had to decide on what to shoot.  I've had a long time interest in Sagurao cacti, so off I went to find some suitable subjects.  Despite the film's expiration date of 09/2000, it was still fresh enough to produce the typical Polaroid muted "sleepy" colors, giving the prints an "aged" look, corresponding to the old age of these desert giants.  The nine prints spent a few months in a folder and this week I finally got around to mounting them.  Here's a snapshot of the result. 


Now I have to decide what to do with the remaining three 10-packs.  Any suggestions?  Now that the price of film (still outdated) has gone over $40, I don't think that this will be a long-time effort.  However, a group in New Zealand called "The Impossible Project" has developed a number of modern-day films for Polaroid cameras, for about $25 a pack.  See: http://www.the-impossible-project.com/ 

Ed

2 comments:

  1. ed, i love this collection. i don't have any suggestions about the film, since i too have polaroid in the refer. it feels so precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the images and interesting framing, Ed. I have my parents' Polaroid Land camera and a couple of others. Thanks for the heads up about the film. Makes me want to check it out.

    I am honored to be your #2 follower, after the fabulous Billie!

    ReplyDelete